Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.

My central air is not working properly. The fan turns and

Customer Question

My central air is not working properly. The fan turns and the furnace part is kicking on, but it is not blowing out enoigh cold air to cool off the house? There is water on the floor by the furnace. Do you know what could be the problem?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Just changed the filters and checked the thermostat (changed batteries)
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it is easy enough. I am kind of handy
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Last winter, i had a similar problem except the furnace wasn't blowing out heat. I had a repairman look at it and said that the lines were plugged. He cleaned them out and it plugged again within 4 weeks. I don't know if this has anything to do with it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

If the blower is blowing check the AC unit for icing the AC coil in the furnace plenum may be icing up and could be low on freon. If so the ice will block the coil resulting in low airflow across the coil and not a lot of cooling. If that is the case you will likely need a tech to top of the refrigerant on the unit. The only other thing that could cause this would be a blower not running to speed. If that is the case you should change the blower capacitor out on the unit. That is located on the blower housing inside the furnace.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would this have anything to do with the line being clogged?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

Could be a clogged filter drier yes, they would have to check and change that though