Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Just bought this house and moved in. The Lennox air

Customer Question

Just bought this house and moved in. The Lennox air conditioning unit was installed in 2002. When I first moved in the unit outside the front door would kick in when I turned the thermostat cooler. I noticed today that it is not kicking in, although it is warm and muggy out there and inside now. The M/N is 10ACC-0240230-1 and the S/N is 5802K27150. The previous owners left no owners' manuals.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: In the first few days I could turn the thermostat down a few degrees and the unit would kick right in. I turned it all the way down to 65 and nothing. I also changed out the filter even though I had put in a new one a couple of weeks ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It depends upon what needs doing.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

Have you checked the ac breaker yet?

And how far would you like to go as far as troubleshooting/hands on?

Billy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have tried the ac breaker and it does not get the fan on the unit moving.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am capable of basic repair, but have not ever tackled an AC unit, other than to make sure i keep the unit clear of snow in the winter.

I am sorry as I did not get your response until later...is the indoor unit in an attic or basement?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The indoor unit is in a utility closet on the first floor of a two-story townhouse

thank you...could you post a pic of the air handler? I want to rule out a plugged drain option shut off

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Texted a picture to you

can you use the attach files link?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hope I sent it

Thank you..ok no water alarm shut off...if you look in the small round window in bottom door of furnace do you see a small light?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
a green blinking light.

Ok,

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I do not

When you switch to cool at thermostat does the fan blow inside?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it does

Well the issue will be solely with the outdoor unit.

Whether fuses in the small box on the side of the house, a bad part like a capacitor.

If you can get a meter later or tomorrow I would be glad to show where to check for power along the way....

That is up to you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. Tomorrow after work I will stop by my favorite hardware store, unless you think I can find one at Target. Then I can pick one up during my lunch break.

I would stick with hardware as I am not sure Target has them.

A simple voltmeter that can measure 220+ volts ac.

Should be less than $30

Just respond tomorrow when ready.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks so much. I will connect when I get home tomorrow.

Great..this is a forced response system so if you reply it forces me to...so keep this on your side until ready to proceed. And keep in mind any pics of the power box on house by ac, the ac, and with cover off electrical section will enable me to corcle test points for you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am finally home, 15 hours after I left this morning, with a volt meter. But we had thunderstorms half hthe night and it is now dark out, so I am postponing until tomorrow night. And we will have a cool nigjt.

no problem.

Talk tomorrow

Billy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am thinking that this is when I call in a professional. I do not see the fan running or hear anything else in the outdoor unit running when I turn on the thermostat. The interior unit kicks right in when I turn the thermostat on. We have also had lots of wind this year, so don't know if dirt is also causing issues. On Monday we had long periods of 30-mph winds.

if you have the meter we can eliminate a couple things and I will be upfront if you should call someone in.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, i will give it a shot.
I have the voltmeter. What other tools do I need to dig out?

First lets check the disconnect box...on the side of the house is there a power cut off box that is wired to the outdoor ac?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gray box with what almost looks like a breaker switch

good,

can you remove the cover and take pic and I instruct,,as soon as we hit a wall I will let you know...also whenever you wish to stop just say...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is the pic of the box

ok see HERE