Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My Whirlpool refrigerator is freezing up. Ice is being

Customer Question

Hello, my Whirlpool refrigerator is freezing up. Ice is being formed around the heating element in the ice box above and the no cold air is blown below. It looks like the thermostat is the problem because it sounds like the timer is working. But I don't know how to order a new thermostat. can you help me? The number written on the thermostat is:
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: On the thermostat there is a large numbe: 1-0- 037TU31 30386(###) ###-#### (FSP)
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Maybe, there seems to be a second thermostat hooked up as well.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

What is the complete make and model of the unit?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What do you mean by unit, the thermostat or the refrigerator? And what do you mean by make? And where do I find the model?

The model of the refrigerator it should be on a tag on the wall inside the refrigerator section

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, the model is: EWT8002A00, but it's also indicated in spanish as: EWT8002A whitout the last two zero's.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still there?

Yes I just got your post

Can you get to the defrost thermostat?