airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Have a brand new Tempstar high efficiency furnace set it up

Customer Question

Have a brand new Tempstar high efficiency furnace set it up hook it up and when I turn it on or jump the White and the red it sounds like the pressure switch clicks the first fan goes on and then nothing happens after that and I get 3 flashes from the indicator light
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 3 months ago.

What Is model on unit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nm9se401410a2

OK if you keep a vacuum sucked on the pressure switch will the gas valve open?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure sounds like it clicks on its own when I fire it up.

Try turning to HEAT, suck on hose and as soon as you hear pressure switch click, check for 24 volts at gas valve

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure I have that many hands let me check it out

Standing by

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I'm doing this right with my multimeter I only have about 11 volts coming out of the why are going to the gas valve
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Now we are at 14 volts
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
R u still there

If pressure switch is closing and you hear it click you may have a defective board even though new if board does not send 24v to valve.Try unplugging wires from pressure switch and reconnecting to make sure connections are good so board sees switch is closing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just did that just to make sure I'm doing this right there are two tubes coming off the pressure valve one goes to the inducer motor and one goes to the condescend pump I want to suck on the one going to the inducer motor from the inducer motor and correct

THat is correct.The inducer is what pulls a vacuum on the switch. Now if unit had been running we might have water backing up preventing switch from getting vacuum, but since this is new, that should not be the case.The board signals inducer to come on,Inducer comes on and pulls vacuum on switch.As soon as switch closes, it signals board to send24v to valve and burners light.As soon as burners light flame sensor signals board it is ok to stay on and energizes main blower.If it fails anywhere along the way we get a fault code. In our case the code is saying switch is still open

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when it clicks is that mean it's opening or shutting? Because when I stop sucking it on clicks should I continue to suck while I'm doing this

It will click when opening and closing.You need to keep a vacuum sucked constantly to keep it closed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is staying closed I I am getting anywhere from 7 - 11 volts going to the gas valve so that's gotta be the problem I guess I should call from warranty service

Yes, the board is not sending enough voltage to open valve

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
One last thought I am feeding us with a half inch gas not 5/8 or three quarters that shouldn't be a problem should it it's just half inch the last like 2 feet of the pipe and the flexible housing

1/2" gas line is plenty sufficient unless your meter is over 100 feet away from furnace.But regardless of pressure, gas valve will not open until it gets 24v.If pressure were the problem, valve would open, burners just would not be hot enough to keep flame sensor warm.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Cool. I will leg you know the final soluyion. Thsnks

Sounds good.Would like to know results