airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My ruud achiever model uamb-030jaz the fan is going but the

Customer Question

my ruud achiever model uamb-030jaz the fan is going but the rooms are 80 degrees, I cleaned it etc buty still not cooling
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 months ago.

Is the indoor and outdoor both running and if so are you sure the compressor is actually running in outdoor and not just outdoor fan?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how can I tell if the compressor is working, the fan is going

Usually will hear the deeper tone.If you have an amp meter we can check to see if it is drawing any amps.If not, feel of the large copper pipe from compressor going to inside coil and tell me if it is beer can cold, slightly cool or ambient temperature.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the copper pipe is not cool at all

OK that is a sign compressor is not running. Do you have any tools such as an amp meter and volt meter so we can do some troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no I don't

OK not a whole lot you can check without meters, but you can open unit and look for a couple of things. One is a wire burned from contactor to capacitor or capacitor to compressor and look to see if the capacitor looks puffy and swollen.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the capacitor looks good

WIres at cap, contactor and compressor terminals all intact?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
all intact from what I can tell

Touch side of compressor and tell me if it is warm

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is warm

OK that is what I suspected. The compressor is not coming on.Going to be either a weak capacitor (even though it looks ok), or compressor has issues. You can remove the cap and take it to an appliance parts house to have it tested since you don't have a meter. Or you can start by replacing the cap as it is less than 20 bucks.Otherwise you will need to obtain a meter to test capacitance and voltage or call in an onsite tech to determine exactly what issue is. But the reason not cooling is compressor is not coming on.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.