BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

This is about a propane heater that I repaired and im having

Customer Question

This is about a propane heater that I repaired and im having problems with is shutting down to to propane issues. The OEM said that I needed to measure the "inch of water column" with a manometer and that it needed to be between 4" and 14" at the gas valve inlet with the valve closed. and that it shouldn't fall off any more than 2" when the valve opened.Here were my findings: It did measure 14' at closed valve fell to 6 but recovered to 10 when the valve opened. I need to try to describe to my customer in laymen terms whats going on here.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 month ago.

Ok basically we have a bad regulator or LP issue.

What happens is the system comes up to pressure when off. When opened the pressure in the line is depleted and not replaced fast enough by the supply. This means the regulator is not releasing the fl fast enough.

Just like water slows until pump kicks on.

You need new or adjust regulator at tank