Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Trying to hook up a TACO zone valves on a gas hot water

Customer Question

Trying to hook up a TACO zone valves on a gas hot water furnace. this is an older furnance and has a 8013 transformer with terminals Y W G C R. Right now the thermostat is hooked upon G and R Need to know how to wire up 1 2 and 3 on TACO 751 valve.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can't power the zone valves with the transformer on the boiler you need a separate transformer. A standard 40va 24 volt transformer will provide enough power for at least 3 zone valves.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Do you have the wiring diagram that should have come with the new valve(s)? It shows you how to wire them to a separate transformer. Let me know if you have more questions.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Perhaps you're skeptical. If you connect the zone valves to the boiler transformer you'll burn it up. It can't handle the load.