airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

You available? Echelon 9C...Error code 11 Red = Limit Switch

Customer Question

You available?
JA: What's the brand and model number of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: Coleman Echelon 9C...Error code 11 Red = Limit Switch open - Blower Failure
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: 11 Red Flashing = Limit Switch Open - Blower Failure. Occurred yesterday during the A/C cooling cycle. Let thaw overnight and turned heat way up...fires up, but blower does not kick in when demand sent
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: As above
JA: Anything else you want the HVAC tech to know before I connect you?
Customer: Cant tell if it's the blower motor, the module on the back of the motore or where the potentially fauly limit switch is
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 10 months ago.

Sounds like we have a blower issue causing the error. What is complete model on unit?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks...the lights on the motherboard sort of indicated this. How do I tell is its a motore, the module, the limit switch?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a Coleman Echelon 9C

I believe the 9c has a variable speed blower.If so it will have two seperate groups of wires going to motor as it I high voltage powered but low or dc voltage controlled.These require a special diagnostic tool to troubleshoot. Can you look and tell me if it is a variable speed or just a standard psc motor?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a variable speed
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I use a multi meter and there's 120AC power to the main...would that indicate the module on the back of the motor?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If there's no AC pwr...I assume it's the motherboard....what I don't know is where the limit switch controlling this is located.

The problem is going to be one of two things. One could be the control board is not sending signal to motor and the other which is most common is a defective controller on the motor.

The tool for testing costs about 100 bucks. You can see it at link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161793648358?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

If you have the tool or wish to obtain it, I will be happy to assist you in detemining if issue is with control board or motor.

If this is something you want to troubleshoot and have or can obtain the test tool,let me know.Otherwise you will need an onsite tech to troubleshoot to determine if issue is motor controller or board.

Click on the link below for more information on what I am referring to using the ecm motor tester.

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/_viewresource.cfm?ID=3359

The most common cause is the bell control on the end of the motor .They are known to fail on these units.

Hopefully this will be cobvered by warranty as the motor with bell is about 800 bucks wholesale.If you can give me serial number I will be glad t check on warranty status for you.

The limit is not going to be the culprit but rather the result of the motor failure.

You most likely have 120v to motor as that is constant. Issue will most likely be controller on motor or the board, but usually the controller on motor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you

If you want to verify if it is warranty, click link below and enter serial number.

http://www.hvaccoverageverification.com/

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.