Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I live in Miami,Florida. My home was built in the 50's, not

Customer Question

Hello, I live in Miami,Florida. My home was built in the 50's, not originally designed for air conditioning. Central a/c was installed (2 large units) several years ago and have been replaced within the last 5 years. One of the air handlers was installed in a hall closet (which originally housed a gas heater). Periodically this unit freezes up or the drainage pipe clogs (which has a sump pump, which also needs to be replaced at times, that moves water outside). We have terrazzo floors! this creates a very dangerous environment for family that uses the three bedrooms that are near this a/c closet. Is there some way to move the air handler to a place that, if there should be water, does not endanger occupants? I know that someone would have to look at the house, etc.. I know that there is a solution to this problem (possibly putting air handler in the attic?). I am stressed about this!!! Is there a technician in Miami who is innovative and sensitive to such problems? I looked on-line and found many others who experience this water problem! Is there a workable solution? FYI: The other unit was placed in the ceiling and almost never gives me problems. I am willing to take money out of savings, etc. to ensure the safety of my family. hbw
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Homebuilder Jay replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear that you having some water problems with your AC unit. You are on the right track though in regards ***** ***** the air handler can be moved to. I was going to suggest that the air handler be moved into the attic with a drip pan installed. The air handler in the attic should also eliminate the need for a pump to move the water outside. The only issue could be if there is space in the attic to accommodate the installation. The unit will require certain clearances to physically get the air handler into the attic and install. You are also correct in that an HVAC tech will need to visit the property to determine if this is a possibility. I currently work as a general contractor in South Florida so I do know excellent people who can help you with this problem. I just need to follow-up with the site administrator to ask if I can give up this type of referral. Please follow-up with any questions you may have. I will also be back in touch with you.

Do you still need a contractor referral for your question?