Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Lennox 12hpb30-10p the breaker tripped and I hear a

Customer Question

I have a Lennox 12hpb30-10p the breaker tripped and I hear a buzzing noise on the electrical line.
I disconnected the electric and the breaker is no longer kicking. I opened the cover and noticed the points on the contactor were burn so I bought a replacement and changed the contactor, but the breaker is still tripping.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 8 months ago.

OK either we have a short or comp is drawing too high amperage. Lets start by examining compressor wires Make sure a wire is not burned off of compressor and touching metal.

Also take a look at the capacitor to make sure it is not swollen or buldging.http://i.imgur.com/xwlfLe8.png

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

This is the 3rd attempt to reply it isn't showing my replies going through so if you get this 3 times, I apologize.

The Cap isn't bulging but I ordered a replacement that will be here tomorrow since it was under 10.00

Cap is rated 40+5mfd 5% 440VAC

It will be later on before I can get the housing off to check wires, thank you.

Just come back to question once you check those wires and we will go from here.If you have a multimeter that will be great too so we can troubleshoot if wires look ok.

.If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I have a multimeter, and the wires look OK.

OK do this. Turn power off. Disconnect wires at compressor then check from each terminal on the compressor to a known ground such as copper pipe or ground screw for continuity.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

OK, this will have to wait until the morning, I can not reach the compressor wires easily and will need someone to help me.

Thank you will be back tomorrow.

Talk to you then

Looks like they have question back open.Let me know what you found