Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician
Experience:  hvac technichian at performance plumbing and heating

My dehumidifier was making a strange sound. (louder than

Customer Question

My dehumidifier was making a strange sound. (louder than usual). I noticed water under it and I tried to shut it down, but it will not turn off. The booklet says not to pull the plug. I called a plumber, but they didn't get back to me.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: I am not sure when it started. I was away for the week and I noticed it tonight. I am worried about the unit burning itself out.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was going to clean the filter. If it needs a new sump pump I would call a plumber.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Can we save my dehumidifier?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 2 months ago.

hi i am dan i can help you with this. as far as turning it off you can unplug it or if you prefer another way is to turn off the breaker for the outlet it is plugged into and then un plug it and turn the breaker back on. as far as repairing it plumbers do not usually work on dehumidifiers. they are considered small appliances and you can bring it to an appliance repair shop and they will be able to diagnose it. my guess is it is probably a bad sensor or control board. if this answers your question or if you have any more questions about this please let me know and if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars at the top of your page i would appreciate it. thank you for using just answer.

hi did that answer your question or do you still need help with this?