BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

I have a Carrier model # 38TKB024300 App 19 years old. My

Customer Question

I have a Carrier model # 38TKB024300 App 19 years old.
My problem is the air conditioner works fine form 10 PM until 12- 1 pm in the afternoon the temperature out of the registers are about 59- 65 degrees.
It appears when the outdoor temp goes above App. 85 degrees that the unit will not perform well register temperature is about 78 -80 degrees.
Is there any heat sensitive components in the outside unit -- Pc board / Electric parts/ cold solder joints that could be failing due to high temperature?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 months ago.

My name is Billy.

Generally when I see the fault this time of day it is heat load related.

The compressor my hold its own until we hit that point of the day where heat has/is peaking and then start to lose ground. The most common issues I find with this description:

Dirty outdoor coil (between fins)

Weak compressor

Hooking gauges up to it during this peak time will tell right away what the problem is. It is a good idea to wash the coil vertically and straight on to clean between the fins. But we do not want to spray at an angle and fold fins.

If it is weak compressor...the only option for a 19 yr old unit would replacement.