Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have a Haier Portable a/c 14,000 BTU Model # AP148DS I am

Customer Question

I have a Haier Portable a/c 14,000 BTU Model # AP148DS I am trying to troubleshoot. Last night I turned it on and after fifteen mins. it shut off so I turned it on again and then it shut off again the screen is displaying "STOP". I checked the drain to get any water out as it said and I removed a small amount that was in the unit but it still will not start. I did push the reset button on plug but it won't start and is still displaying "STOP". Just wondering if you know of anything else I could try.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: Haier Model# ***** No it has never done this before.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can, not sure how difficult it will be or what needs to be done.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. nothing else.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, the chinese made AC units have electronic controls made as inexpensively as possible, they are failure prone, and quite difficult to diagnose.

In China, at $1 per hour labor rates. diagnosis and repair is quite viable, here in the US a $100 per hour labor rates it is often cheaper to replace the entire unit..

That said, remove the water condensate bucket and look for two rods or a float positioned so that it can sense water level about to overflow in the tank, and clean that real well.

Let me know how it goes,