Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician
Experience:  hvac technichian at performance plumbing and heating
89712187

Duct insulation in attic is wet, guessing due to

Customer Question

Duct insulation in attic is wet, guessing due to condensation. They are recommending removing and replacing it. My question is since the insulation is wet, should it be replaced? What precautions should be taken in the removal and install process? Can it be removed and not replaced? Is there a more green and safer alternative to fiberglass?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 9 months ago.

hi i am dan i can help you with this. first the exact cause for the insulation being wet must be determined. if it just recently get wet for some reason there should be no reason to replace it. if it has constantly been getting wet and is degraded then it should be replaced. is it fiberglass duct you have or metal duct wrapped with fiberglass insulation?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Initially, I called them out because the closet in the den area was leaking. They did not give a cause but it is an older house. We were just told the insulation is wet and not as thick as it was or should be? Will it being wet cause mold build up? I believe it is metal duct wrapped with fiberglass. Sorry, I had a picture but was unable to attach it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we do have regular blown in fiberglass in the attic as well

if it is constantly wet it can grow mold. i would ask them why it got wet and what are they going to do to prevent it from getting wet again

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What is the difference between fiberglass duct and metal wrapped with fiberglass. Can a hot attic cause the insulation to get wet and could this cause ceiling roof leak. Can insulation be removed without replacing? Precautions taken from contaminating house with fiberglass? Safer insulation alternatives?

metal duct will be made out of all sheetmetal and secured and sealed. then wrapped with fiberglass wrap for insulation. fiberglass duct is ducts that are made completely out of compressed fiberglass. if there is a lack of insulation or insufficient insulation the hot air in the attic will form condensation on the exposed metal duct. if the insulation is removed it must be replaced as stated duct work must be insulated properly.fiberglass insulation is safe but another option is bubble wrap insulation. it is foil faced bubble wrape made out of plastic. any old fiberglass should be removed bagged and taken out of house.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does sheep wool insulation work for duct insulation? Finally, in your opinion, if the insulation has shrunk in size and is wet, should it be replaced?

yes if insulation is continually wet or gets very wet at once it degrades and becomes ineffective and should be replace. i have not used sheep wool for insulation but if it is at least an r-8 value and has a foil faced vapor barrier they it can be used

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you.

thank you for using just answer. next if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars at the top of your page i would appreciate it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What are your thoughts on using blue denim insulation to wrap around the ductwork? Have you ever used it, and is it as effective as fiberglass and other alternatives? Also, can it be installed without foil facing?

i have never used it. all i would use is either fiberglass or bubble wrap insulation. any insulation used must have a R-8 ratting and provide an adequate vapor barrier to prevent condensation. if that answers your question or if you have any more questions about this please let me know and if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars at the top of your page i would appreciate it. thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.

thank you for using just answer. next if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars i would appreciate it as that is the only way i receive credit for my response and close this question out.