Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Does it pay to replace a blower motor in a 12 year old York

Customer Question

does it pay to replace a blower motor in a 12 year old York AC central air unit for less than $1,000 or should we get an entire new high efficiency unit.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: yes and yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no just need advice first
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, if it is a simple 2 or 3 speed blower motor it should retail for around $200 and be replaceable for $250 in labor... for $450 it would be worth the repair..... at $1,000 it becomes a bit more dicy.

Do you know if the existing blower motor is variable speed (ramps up slowly and is very quiet) or the old style, a lot louder.?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No idea!
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Regarding going to a new high efficiency furnace, that will pay off in some colder climates, in moderate climates or warm climates where the furnace does not run as much, the high efficiency furnaces can cost more to keep in repairs than you save in fuel.

There are other factors as well, tell me which climate zone you are in, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Long island ny..4 seasons no extreme
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

If you can give me the model number of the existing York furnace I can look it up for you. its on a tag in the same compartment as the gas valve.

Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

The tag will have the furnace BTU rating and serial number as well, but all I need is the model number

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The model number on the outside unit is ac030X1222A
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cannot read the model number but the serial number is (S)XKMS273259
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is the inside unit
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** is ***** the air conditioning unit outside, I might be able to use it later.

The serial number on the inside unit is not useful, no serial numbers are useful in this case.

There is no point in getting hung up it if you do not have the furnace model number, get a quote from your repair man on replacing the blower motor, if its under $500 do it.... if its over $1,000 get back to me and we can discuss a range of options, including new equipment selection and assistance with negotiating the installation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks he will be here in a few minutes
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Meantime tell me if you need to keep costs at rock bottom or if you want to upgrade to a new system... there are many options depending on your needs for quietness, and better humidity control in the summer. Costs can range from $5,500 to $8,700 approx.

Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Stay in touch, tell me what the technician tells you. We can go from there.

Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Ask the tech to tell you if the blower motor is a "PSC" or a "variable speed" type in detail

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks ok
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.