Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Trane XE 1200. Had problems with the contactor, have not

Customer Question

Trane XE 1200. Had problems with the contactor, have not replaced it but it is working for now. Came home today and the fan was on but the compressor will not come on. It is not making any noise. I have power on both ends of the contactor, but no power at the run capacitor. This unit also has a fan capacitor and a Supco Super 7 hard start kit on it. Any ideas?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: All's good. worked fine till today after I messed with the contact
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not sure what you mean. I'm just a guy struggling to make ends meet and can't affor to call out a tech
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 2 months ago.

Does fan come on in outdoor just no compressor or neither?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just the fan

First of all,with power off, remove the cover on compressor where wires connect and make sure all 3 compressor wires are intact (Not burned )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If they are ok, then what?

Do you have a volt meter for checking continuity?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The reason I ask is that the outside unit is in a dark part of my yard so it may take awhile working with a flashlight.

I understand. If wires look good, we want to disconnect them from compressor terminals and check for continuity between all terminals on compressor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did you get my first comments about there being no power back to the capacitor? Is that why I am checking the wires on the compressor?

You only have one hot wire on cap. That is the same wire that is going to fan and compressor . You will not get a reading on cap terminals.Only from the one coming to cap and other lead on opposie contactor pole.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm sorry, I dont have time for this method of help. I am going to figure out something else. Ive been on here for 20 minutes and have gotten more requests to upgrade than help with my AC

No problem