Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

I live on the first floor apartment of a 2 family house. I

Customer Question

I live on the first floor apartment of a 2 family house. I have one 8000 btu portable ac, and one 6500 btu window air conditioner. The 8000 btu unit is in the bedroom however the room doesnt get cold enough. I have two fans in the bedroom as well to help circulate the air. The livingroom ac barely gets any use since nobody is really there. Sometimes the kitchen gets way to hot when we cook in there so i need to figure out a solution to cooling the kitchen as well. If i buy one high btu window unit to put in the bedroom would that cooling transfer to the livingroom as well if i was to keep the door open? Whats the best place to position the fans ? Also energy prices are kinda high as well if tgere are any cost effective solutions i can do also. I cant do central air since i am renting.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

It's best to put a unit that just big enough for the bedroom in the bedroom. 8000 btu's will cool a room that's up to 350 square feet. That's a pretty big bedroom. Have you tried keeping the door closed? You're better off with a unit big enough for the kitchen in the kitchen. Can you close off the kitchen?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well rick i do keep the doors closed in the bedroom and i used a shower rod w some curtains to divide the livingroom and bedroom and it seems to be doing well at keeping the temperatures separate in those rooms. So u suggest just getting 3 seperate wall units for each room instead of one big one for the bedroom that would cool into the livingroom how much btus per room would you suggest to keep them nice and cold
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

It's very difficult to get adequate circulation in an apartment from a single unit in one room unless all the rooms are wide open to each other. Since the bedroom has a door that you close a single uni in the bedroom won't work very well. I need to know the size of the rooms to suggest a size for the window units. Also where do you live?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I live in mount vernon ny and i attached a picture of the floorplan with the sizes of each room
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

8k should be plenty for the bedroom unless it's not working properly or there are more than 2 people in the room and it's in the sun all day. The problem if you go any bigger is that the circuit in the room may not handle the load. Check the size of the circuit breaker for the bedroom and go as big as 10K if it draws no more than 12 amps if the bedroom circuit is 15 amps. Your kitchen need 8k so maybe move the bedroom unit to the kitchen. The 6500 unit should handle the living room.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?