Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.

I have a very particular question. I have a Goodman

Customer Question

I have a very particular question. I have a Goodman Airhandler Model# ***** and Condenser Model# ***** Recently I had blown a 3 amp fuse on the condenser board. I replaced it and the 3 amp fuse in the air handler blew. To make a long story short, I have tested all wires to eachother and ground and no faults. Ran a new wire from my condenser to my air handler as well. I have replaced the 24v transformer and BOTH the Airhandler board and Condenser Board. Still blowing the 3 amp fuse. I have it narrowed down to the 24v and common running down to the condenser. once this loop is made one of the fuses blows! HELP! PS I have tried a new wire and tried the THREE extra wires I had spare on my new Condenser wire run to the unit.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Often the cause is a bad contactor on the outside unit if the contactor coil is drawing too much current when it closes that will happen. You should remove 1 wire from the outside contactor coil and then try it if it does not blow replace the contactor.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These units do not have contactors only on board relays connected to the main board.

I see that now, on those disconnect the low voltage wiring from the board does it still blow?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it does not, but I have replaced the board for the condenser and the Air Handler

Have you tried a 5 amp fuse to make sure it is a dead short.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
havent tried that yet. would have to do a 5 amp fuse on the air handler and condenser to make sure I dont bounce the fault back to the other 3 amp fuse in the system. I will try this tonight when I get home. Thanks! I will let you know how it goes! *fingers crossed*

Yes thanks let me know