airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a g61 movie. I am trying to install a Honeywell Wi Fi

Customer Question

I have a g61 movie. I am trying to install a Honeywell Wi Fi thermostat. There does not seem to be an empty spot on the furnace for the common wire (c). Is there anything I can do. The c spot on there is going out to the air conditioner.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 8 months ago.

Your C from thermostat is going to go into the C terminal along with the Common from outdoor unit

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's ok to put 2 wires onto the same terminal?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have the C installed yet so I switched the c to the g on the thermostat and put the g into the c at the furnace. I turned the power back on and I there is no power to the thermostat.

OK did you turn power off before starting? If not look on control board to see if the little 3 amp fuse is blown.

http://i.imgur.com/tLkELHl.png

http://i.imgur.com/kYe4Epz.png

If you are using the G wire as a work around to keep from adding a wire, It will need to move from G to C bot at thermostat and at furnace board.Yes it is ok to have 2 wires at the C terminal on board.One from thermostat and one to outdoor unit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I see the fuse it says 3 amp on it. How do you tell if it's blown. How do you pull it out? I think I did turn the power out. But I turned it back on.

If you turned it on with C connected to G you probably blew fuse. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to grasp it and pull it out to look to see if it is burned

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have not attached the connector yet from the g to the y( I think it isn't) would that effect anything?

Lets check fuse first and then we will go this step by step

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think I just broke the fuse. I broke a plastic piece off the front. Is the fuse in the back?

WEre you able to get the fuse off of the board?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I broke a plastic piece off the front. Maybe the fuse went flying.

OK lets get another fuse first. Then before turning anything on, wire as follows

Furnace ------------------Thermostat

R-------------------------------R/RC

W--------------------------------W

Y---------------------------------Y

C---------------------------------C

Then at furnace run a jumper from Y to G (This will energize blower along with ac on call for cool.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok can I get the fuse from anywhere. Or do I need to get it from a Lennox dealer.

Any auto parts store or Walmart will have it

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.