Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

The thermostat claims that the Y 1 wire has no power.

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: The thermostat claims that the Y 1 wire has no power. Therefore it can't control the unit. The air conditioner can't be adjusted.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Filters for the air conditioning units were changed today by a repair man fixing a leak. How do you check the thermostat settings when the dial won't permit anything at all, including adjusting the temperature
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I can't get someone to come now. There is a heatwave and the a/c people are not available. I don't know if it is doable by a layperson.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. We need help desperately. the thermostat isn't working and the ac just keeps pumping away. it is getting quite cold here.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

Hello, did the thermostat work properly before the repair man fixed the leak? If so thats a red flag we need to investigate. Tell be the name of the company and which city or town they are in, and will look them up.

For now turn the outside unit off by use of its disconnect switch on the wall next to the unit

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The company name is ***** ***** in Brooklyn. On 44th Street. Their offices are closed. Can I speak to you on the phone to explain the situation?(###) ###-####
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

The company charges $24 extra for phone calls, I will submit the offer and if you do not wish to accept it, we can continue here in this dialog box

Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

Hello again, problems getting the card to work, we will have to continue here.

I am in the process of looking the company up, they are not listed in my data base of quality air conditioning companies.

Tell me what the charged you for the 'leak repair' etc and about how long the tech was on site with his tool box open, we can go from there.