Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.

I have a honeywell T8400C thermostat that loses the display

Customer Question

i have a honeywell T8400C thermostat that loses the display periodically. If i turn the breaker to the furnace off and then back on the display comes back and the AC works fine.
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: thermostat i think
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes if it's just the themostat
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Either the thermostat is bad or you could have a wiring issue the thermostat itself. If you are hard resetting it you should really check with a volt meter for 24 volts from R to C at the thermostat to see if you have power there when it is blank. If not you may want to check the wiring to the board in the furnace and transformer to make sure they are not causing a loss of power to the thermostat head. If the thermostat does have power and is blank just replace the thermostat.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!