Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

On a 30ton voyager if the pin switch on the RTAM board is

Customer Question

On a 30ton voyager if the pin switch on the RTAM board is set for IGV but it's a VFD, will that cause issues with the VFD? I have a TCD330 that starts ramping up and down, then shuts down completely after about 30 minutes. Only thing I found is pin switch set for IGV. It starts occurring in heat of afternoon during peak temps.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, can you get me the full model number of the voyager unit.

However the problem is most likely related to the static pressure sensor that controls the VFD unit...in the heat of the day more of the variable air volume boxes or zone dampers will be wide open, and the static pressure in the supply air duct will drop...that will normally cause the VFD to go to full speed.. full speed amperage draw may be exceeding the motor over load ratings.

Send me a picture of the VFD with the door open so I can see all of the components.

We can go from there

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's a Trane tcd330beol1a2dh5. I've already run all the tests in the IOM. All components test good. Transducer to RTAM is 1.2vdc and RTAM to VFD is 6.6vdc. It seems to lose its command. I'm leaning toward the K42 relay contacts. I thought it this sight would be Trane tech support as advertised. I'm going to monitor for next few hours and try and catch it
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello again, we are not the Trane tech support site (which is world class by the way). We are several thousand techs in a wide range of disciplines, and doctors, attorneys, etc... I have considerable experience with Trane, but only the Trane factory tech service will be prepared to handle this issue for you.

Thanks for trying Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay thanks for trying, it's extra hot here in Dallas.