Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I turned off my unit to change the filter. Then simply

Customer Question

I turned off my unit to change the filter. Then simply turned back on and unit wasn't cooling. So I turned off breaker then back on. Long story short in the past an ac tech had come out and moved the thermostat around and got the unit to come on. But now outdide I hear a humming for 5 seconds then off like it's trying to start up. Then again in 2 min ish. There is a green and red light flashing on the circut board that shows it to be a start capacitor light.. any suggestions are much appreciated as I know it can't be something major it was working just fine before I changed the filter
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: Like I said the unit was fine all I did was switch it off then the breaker off. I also cleaned the coils yesterday
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Honestly think it's not worthy of calling someone out. Like I said just a switch on and off now broken
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It did spark one time when I took the panel door off
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, so far it sounds like a bad run capacitor in the outside unit, tell me a lot about your technical skills sets and electrical test instruments if any so that I can coach you most effectively.