airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have replaced my blower motor with a new one. They said

Customer Question

I have replaced my blower motor with a new one. They said this was a 2 direction motor. It is spinning backwards. How do I change the direction
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 months ago.

This s done by swapping some wires around.Tell me number on your new motor and I will be happy to help.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a GE 5sme39hl0252 variable speed 1/2hp
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It says cw ccw on the box

Variable speed motors can not be reversed by simply changing wires.Who told you the motor could turn both ways?

The bell control on the end is what controls the motor . Did you replace the entire assembly or just the motor (using your old bell control)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The whole thing. Is the bell the black thing bolted to the top?

Yes the has bolts connecting it to the end of the actual motor. The motor can be used in numerous applications and directions, but the bell must be unit specific programmed for your unit.

Did you provide the model on your unit when buying the motor?

If not the bell may be programmed incorrectly.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I took my old motor

Can you look on the black bell and give me the number on he bell as well as the model on your unit it goes in?

I am suspecting they gave you a motor with the wrong bell control. The same motor is used with a number of different bell controls .For example when used with one bell control it will move a certain rpm and direction on a York where same motor with a different bell will turn opposite direction and rpms will vary.

You are most likely going to need to have them replace the entire assembly or get you the correct bell programmed specifically for your unit.

AS you will note in the links above, the motor is same but bell control is different.

If you can get me model on unit I can tell you what bell controller you need.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had to go to have some teeth removed today after I started chatting with you. I talked with someone from the store who ask me if I had put the cover back on the unit before I turned it on. I had not because I wants to see if it was spinning the correct direction. He told m that the system needed the static pressure of the cover being on to help it determine which way to spin. I had my son reinstall the cover and we turned it on. It seems to be working ok now. I don't understand why but my house is 72 degrees and I am getting good flow from the registers now.

Hmm. The variable speed could be effected by static pressure.I have acutally seen an outddor start backwards because wind was blowing.I was not aware you were running without cover. Let me know if you have any more problems.