Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My a/c contractor proposes to fix a leak in the the aluminum

Customer Question

My a/c contractor proposes to fix a leak in the the aluminum part of my condenser coil by replacing the condenser coil. He said the aluminum spot could not be worked on as it would melt; I found on line a repair kit called " Alumiweld"; is this a good solution? The part is under warranty and will be replaced without charge!, but the labor and misc. parts will cost me $1174.00! I have a Trane that is 4 years old Thanks.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I'm sorry to have to confirm the bad news but there is no way to effectively repair aluminum in this application. At best it would be a patch that is unlikely to last very long. Alumiweld repairs are not designed to hold the high pressures you have in your coil. At best it's ok for repairs that are not subject to any pressure.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?