BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Rinnai Avenger 25TRE gas heater and it works for a

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Rinnai Avenger 25TRE gas heater and it works for a few minutes then errors out with code 13. It sometimes works for several hours without showing an error. Currently I have switched it to electric only mode and it seems not be erroring after a few minutes. What can I try?
JA: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?
Customer: No this the first time we have got errors other than filter warnings. I'm not sure how old it is to be honest - probably at least 5 years but maybe closer to 10?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Happy to try..
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Don't think so - it's never been serviced to my knowledge.. I wouldn't mind getting a professional to service it but don't know who or if it is worth it.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 3 months ago.

I am very sorry your question has not been picked up yet.

I just logged on and found you had not been assisted.

Please let me know if you still need help and I will do my best. Please do not "Rate" as we have not worked toward an answer yet.

If you would like to proceed let me know by replying

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please, happy to get some help. I have ordered a technician to come out and have a look at it but it is very expensive and if I could resolve it with your help before then or even get to the stage where I know what the problem is then it may save a very expensive call out fee which is non-refundable if it is not fixed. The technician will be coming in 1 or 2 business days so I will need a response from you very soon for it to be relevant to me.

13 is a fault with the combustion control. This can gas valve or flame control.

Really all you can do is clean the burner and ignitor the best you can...if problem persist you will the tech who will have access to the correct parts

Billy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have already called a technician who is coming today to have a look. I'm sorry but your response took too long and I had to get it looked at. Also you didn't actually provide me with any details as to how to clean the gas valve or flame control. I had already looked up the error message in the manual and worked out it was an issue to do with the burner. That's why I messaged you. I would like a refund please.