Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician
Experience:  hvac technichian at performance plumbing and heating
89712187

Well my thermostat is not kicking on the compressor and its

Customer Question

Well my thermostat is not kicking on the compressor and its been flashing the cool on indicator for a whle
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: i think the thrermostat is causing the compressor not to kick on because of some mode its in
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Because the air does come on after a while
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It just takes a long time to start blowing again
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 5 months ago.
Hi i am dan I can help you with this. How long does it take for it to turn the system on when it is flashing?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sometims acouple hours
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its been getting longer and longer between cycles
Ok then that is definitely a problem with the thermostat. Is has a built in delay that should normally last between 2-5 minutes. If it is flashing that means it is in delay and it last more than 5 minutes then the problem is the thermostat. I would recommend replacing the thermostat. It is fairly simply and they are not too expensive. Let me know if you have any more questions about this or if that answers your question.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Im pretty handy and Im a carpenter. I f I just go and buy a new thermostat can i change it out myself
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do I have to change the housing mounted on the wall or can I jut repair the thermostat
Replacing it is simple. I can help you with it if you need. You will need to replace the subbase too on the wall
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are they going to charge me more money to talk on the phone? They made it seem like I pay a monthly fee and then I can ask as many questions as I want
a phone call is an additional $28. If you have a subscription you do not get charged for each question but phone calls are still additional
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you could talk me thru it on here for my monthly fee or I can call you for $ 24
I can help you in the dialogue for the original question cost but it will be easier once you have a new thermostat. If a phone call would be easier for you it will be an additional $24
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I ma going to go get a thermostat and I will hit you back. Thx, How do I make sure I get ahold of you
Just reply to this thread. Make sure you get a thermostat that is for your type of system. If you have a heat pump you will need a tstat that is for heat pumps or a gas furnace if you have a gas furnace
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I live in Florida. Noe heat pump. Is there any way I can test to make sure it is the thermostat. I mean from the looks it looks like it is working
As I said it stays in delay the tstat is bad
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok going to get a thermostat, thx
Ok reply back when ready

did replacing the thermostat work?

were you able to get it working or do you have any more questions about it?