Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Carrier system Model 58 MVP with an Infinity

Customer Question

I have a Carrier system Model 58 MVP with an Infinity Thermostat (SYSTXCCUIDO1).
Can the COR Wi-fi Thermostat (#TP-WEMOI) replace the Infinity thermostat easily, without modification to the wiring?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

It can be done by a trained carrier technician easily but not by a home owner, there are wiring changes, dip switch settings and programming that has to be done.

We keep going if needed until you have the answer you need, when you get that please rate my work, its the only way the company pays me for my time. Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there another Brand of thermostat available that can replace The Infinity thermostat I currently have with no modification to the wiring?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is ther another brand of thermostat that can replace the Infinity thermostat I have with no modification to the wiring?
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Carrier has designed those systems to be proprietary, and operate with their proprietary printed circuit card and speed controls... other thermostats can be forced to work but with some loss of important functions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there any brand that would just require the 4 wires of the thermostat be changed and still provide the most important functions? Any "smart" thermostsats?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there any brand that would just require the 4 wires of the thermostat be changed and still provide the most important functions? Any "smart" thermostats?
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Tell me which terminal letters or numbers the 4 wires attach to, if its A,B,C,D... the answer is no, it would be something like putting car engine on a bicycle... it has been done, and it can be done, but the result a bit of a problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The wiring is to ABCD; I have looked for a new infinity thermostat, however I cannot find the exact ID (SYSTXCCUIDO1); have found units with ID ending in B, V, etc. (ie;SYSTXCCUIDO1-V ). Does the additional letter matter?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Your very very best and most bullet proof option, that leaves you with dealer support in tact is to contact your carrier dealer and have him sell you what will work the best in your system. That puts him on the hook for the range of anomalies that will occur.

Not all carrier dealers are equal however, if you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city I can get you a short list of the best rated outfits.

what you are not realizing here is that these systems are *not electric they are **electronic** in nature, and while many are made to be adaptable the interface wiring and programming is over the head of many shops, let alone some of the dealers. The systems were designed by teams of Carrier experts to make their systems this way... and they change year to year on top of it all.

I will opt out for a while, we can see if any other of our experts here think they can help you.