Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have a Trane XV90 DOWNFLOW Heating and Cooling Unit, and

Customer Question

I have a Trane XV90 DOWNFLOW Heating and Cooling Unit, and have experienced water in my ductwork. Is this coil carryover? It is 2 stage and I assume it slows down (coil velocity) to avoid carryover? What else can I do to alleviate water in ductwork?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, carry over can be the cause, but also supply air temperatures below 46F sometimes a bit warmer can cool the ductwork below the dew point and cause water to condense in sheet metal type duct work and also on the outside.... the situation is more pronounced in humid areas, such as the USA gulf coast and Florida etc.

A qualified technician can easily make the needed adjustments (that is about 20% of the technicians as a rough guess) the others will have problems and make adjustments that defeat some of your systems features.

Tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city if you would like me to find a well rated service outfit for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The water came out of the diffuser closest to the downflow discharge no external condensate noted.
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** cause, either one mentioned, an experienced tech has fixed the problem dozens of times in his career, with a baffle, or by leveling the coil if it is out of level a bit (quite common) or by changing the blower speed slightly... its an easily solved problem regardless the actual cause. The actual cause cannot be determined without an inspection.

Since you will be hiring a tech to fix the problem in any event an inspection becomes a mute point... does that make any sense?

Let me know, we can go from there.