Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

Ok so i have been hearing and being told by sales guys and

Customer Question

Ok so i have been hearing and being told by sales guys and some other company techs. That techs are not changing all evaperator coild when changing over the condenser to 410a, im hearing them all say that they are just changing the txv or orphace valve on an r22 evap to a 410a txv or orphace valve. Is this correct can you do this becuase i have been changing r22 evaperators?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 2 months ago.

It is possible to convert an R22 coil to R410a by replacing metering device and flushing coil to remove mineral oil, but not recommended if the coil was originally designed for R22 only as the thickness of tubing used was not designed for the higher operating pressures of R410A and may result in premature leaking.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all these other techs are gambling?

That is correct. As a contractor of twenty seven years I have seen a lot of changes in the industry and as regulations change, a lot of contractors doing inappropriate practices .

Examples ( Installing a 13 SEER outdoor with n existing 10 SEER indoor,mis matching tonnage, using alternative refrigerants such as 407 instead of R22, etc)

It is always a gamble. If you choose to do, you should notify the customer and let them know the risks.For example if customer can not afford to replace both indoor and outdoor, explain that he is taking a chance .

I have also been behind contractors where compressor burned out, previous contractor could not get unit to cool properly etc.

Customer got tired of dealing with them so they called me and I discovered the problem and replaced what needed to be. The previous contractor in his mind figures everything is working ok since he did not hear back from them, not realizing he lost the customer.