Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Weil-McLain WGO Series 3 Oil-fired Natural Draft

Customer Question

I have a Weil-McLain WGO Series 3 Oil-fired Natural Draft Water Boiler that I think has a failed Amtrol expansion tank. There is a Amtrol water heater installed also along with a well water tank.
The water relief valve pipe is draining constantly at a steady state into a drain. By the expansion tank there is a several inch high valve that I think has failed because black water has leaked from it but the leak appears to be no longer active.
The water draining is hot so I turned the boiler off at the service switch and the water has cooled off but the system is still cycling water with the well tank running about every 15 minutes.
The boiler has been serviced annually with no significant issues. I have a call into my local plumbing company who have serviced the boiler but will have to wait until Monday AM to talk to them.
Any suggestions? I'm reluctant to turn-off the water system because I'm not sure exactly how to do it.
Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Do you still need help?