HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Not getting cold air. Compressor kicks on. New T stat.

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

SO what is not running?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Compressor running. No cold air. Seems like cold air is coming out of the compressor?

Is the reversing valve working?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Don't know. How do I check. New T stat. Manual said to jump aux with E, but Honeywell Tech said no. Honeywell tech was gone by the time I noticed that I was not getting cold air...as a matter of fact, the room was getting warmer.

Do you have a wire connected to the O/B terminal and do you have it set to the right system in the installers menu?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
System seemed to have been working before I changed the T stat

Yes you have it either wired wrong or it is not setup for a heatpump in the installers menu

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
a blue wire to o/b

OK check the installer menu and if it is set to heatpump change the crossover valve setting from whatever it is at to 1 or 0 the opposite of what it is at and try it.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You to your, g to get. R to read with jumper, y to y. And w to aux
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
G to G, Y to Y, B to B/O, R to R with jumper to something else
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still there?

Yes that is fine you need to check the INSTALLER SETUP MENU have you done that?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've read the honeywell set up manual several times. And, although the manual states to jump aux with E, tell him support said not to.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tech support said not to
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is installer setup menu?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm using the heat pump port screws...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I assume you have no more suggestions and I will not be charged for this session?

What thermostat do you have make and model

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Honeywell RTH7400D
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Payne model attached photo

Go to this link page 26 then once in the installer menu MAKE SURE 0170 and 0190 are set correctly.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok.I'll check

ok

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fixed it. Settings 170 and 190. 170 choose #7, heat pump w backup.However, I'm a little confused because the selection that corrected the problem in 190 was for heating using an orange wire on b/o...my wire is blue, connected to b/of. I tried option 0 first, which referred to cooling, but thay didnt fix problem. I then tried option 1, which referred to heating, and that fixed my problem, which was no cooling. Can you explain what is going on here and do I need to change the setting back to 0 when I'm ready for heating? Thank you.

No leave it the way it is now and it will work for heating fine.