Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Our Trane XE 900 is out - tried replacing the fan - no go -

Customer Question

Our Trane XE 900 is out - tried replacing the fan - no go - tech said he could replace the compressor - but best to replace the system. We live in Trabuco Canyon, CA - in Orange County. Our house is approximately 2,800 sq. feet - two story - what is a good replacement unit - and how much with a decent / average unit cost to replace our old one - including installation?
My e-mail is***@******.***
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I need the rest of the model number on the Trane unit that sits *outside, and I need to know about how old the system is.

Regarding replacement units, Tranes high end, most expensive system is about the quietest on the market, but costs about 40% more than other brands with similar but not quite as quiet features.

In orange county, a 5 ton unit is about what it takes, costs to replace depending on the model you choose is in the $10,000 to $12,000 range with Tranes best, ***** ***** Goodman equipment high end models, in the $8,000 to $10,000 range,

A home that large should be zoned so that the unoccupied portions of the house are not heated or cooled to the same extent that the occupied portions are, utility cost savings are in in the 30% range on average.

Tell me if you have one large 5 ton system, or two smaller 3 ton systems

We can go from there