Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Im checing previous posts to see if there is anything

Customer Question

Im checing previous posts to see if there is anything similar already listed. My upstairs is hot and downstairs is cool. The vents seem to be cool but there is not air flow. It is a dual zone system.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: yes and yes. The upstairs thermostat does not seem to do anything at all.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: nope
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Hello, has this situation just begun or has the upstairs always been hotter than the downstairs.

Is there just one AC unit sitting outside on the ground or two.

Is there a 10 x 12 x 3 inch thick 'zone controller' box anywhere.

Tell me a lot about your technical skills so that I can help you most efficiently.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just returned from a two week vacation and the situation was present when I returned. I have replaced the downstairs thermostat because it was damaged (mercury switch to digital) the upstairs thermostat has never done anything to control the unit in my opinion. There is only one compressor/fan unit outside. I have replaced the roof vent fan and thermostat in the attic when we moved in because it was not working, that solved our initial problem last summer. I am self taught with all of my technical skills and am confident in working on wires and thermostats, I have rewired thermostats, and replaced air handler components and the outside compressor fan and motor after figuring out that was the problem. There is a zone controller box in my closet downstairs and all the lights on it are all lit up but there seems to be two wires that are disconnected for some reason (I do not know where they plug into, maybe the vent sensor) and were that way when I moved in a year ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have attached the picture below, the lights on the left side of the board (D19 and D20) light up and alternate two blinks each.
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Thanks. with these new electronic thermostats wiring errors can be made that affect zone systems. The upstairs thermostat in some cases can be wired to act as a master lock out thermostat so that the heat will not come on unless the upstairs is in heating mode, you would not have noticed that function, but its a key function and it works in tandem with the other thermostat.

Send me a photo of the zone controller box with the door open so I can see all the wire connections and the two loose wires.

I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.

Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Ooops the picture of the zone controller came though, no need to send another one I will mark this one up for you

Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Sorry for the delay we had a rush of emergency calls

http://screencast.com/t/42Mg9vumJ

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Top:
Thermostat @ 60
Black and Red = 27.4
Black and White = 0
Thermostat @ 80
Black and Red =27.3
Black and White =0
Bottom:
Thermostat @ 60
Black and Red = 27.4
Black and White = 0
Thermostat @ 80
Black and Red =27.3
Black and White =0
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

http://screencast.com/t/h7fq5G0eRJf

I dont see the fuse on this diagram, is there a legend nearby

that shows a fuse?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is a 3A fuse just above the wires you were having me check. Is that the fuse you are referring to?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is conductivity through that fuse)
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

If the 3A fuse is removable check it with an ohm meter... if you meant the 30A fuse I need to find it on the wiring diagram, so far I do not see it on the wiring diagram, do you see it on the wiring diagram.... there should be a legend printed on the same sheet of paper as the wiring diagram that gives the full name of each component next to its abbreviation used on the diagram

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not have a full sized wiring diagram sheet or legend sheet. The only fuse on that board is the one with the 3 on it, which works.
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Do I have it correctly then, that the 30 amp fuse is not shown on the wiring diagram?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If there is one, I do not see it, nor do I know where it would be located.
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

This is typical of much of the chinese equipment, wiring diagram does not match what they have installed, making trouble shooting difficult if not impossible... same with that non removable fuse.

https://www.klimaireintl.com/files/documents/52_emailiosimapv1.pdf

That is their phone number call them on monday and ask whats up with the non removeable fuse and the wiring diagram without a legend and the fuse not shown on the diagram.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did go outside and there is a 60A removable (cube) fuse by the compressor. Is that the fuse you are referring to?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the link you provided is to set up an IMAP server on iOS
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Hello again, our server computers are messed up badly, they have locked me out of responding to you, and posted my last 3 messages to you that were intended for another customer.(the Klimaire posts) We will have to wait a while, maybe a few hours for the engineers to sort that out.... this is the first time this has happened in the last 5 years

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No worries, I am about to head out for the night. I work midnights, hopefully we have been moving towards finding a resolution to my problem.
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Hopefully JA management will have this server mix up corrected by tomorrow

Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Our server is still messed up apparently, I will try to work around it,

you typed earlier

Top:
Thermostat @ 60
Black and Red = 27.4
Black and White = 0
Thermostat @ 80
Black and Red =27.3
Black and White =0
Bottom:
Thermostat @ 60
Black and Red = 27.4
Black and White = 0
Thermostat @ 80
Black and Red =27.3
Black and White =0

--------------

The dampers should be open when black and red are powered, locate the dampers physically and see if they are both open, you can compare one against the other to determine which is stuck, since both are getting power to black and red both dampers should be in the same position.

Dampers will be in the duct work, under the house or in the attic as the case may be, sometimes they are at the discharge air end of the furnace, these are fit into 10" diameter ducts in most cases, sometimes larger,

Click here

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, these will be under the house. I will get under there tomorrow afternoon. I will return here after I have found them and confirmed their positions.
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

You can test them by reversing the red and white wire connections they should reverse positions when you do that, if one of them does not reverse, its bad.

Once we get this sorted out it will be time to locate the "finish and rate" link, that is the only way the company pays me for my time, thanks, ***** ***** I will leave the question open for any follow up that you might need.