Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Copeland compressor shutting off. Needs reset to start back

Customer Question

I have a Copeland compressor MD# 3DS3F46KE-TFC-200 on a Artic Temp 1000 ice maker. The compressor comes on and the water is flowing down the ice maker tubes. The ice maker will time out but the ice will not form on the tubes, then the compressor will shut off the high side. Would have to reset the compressor in order for the compressor to start up again.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

So far it sounds like refrigerant charge and controls adjustment issues. Do you have the compressor head and suction pressures when it is running and water is flowing over the tubes? I will need that information.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had a guy out this morning he said the compressor was running at 80 ? I dont really know he seemed like he didnt know what he was doing
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

You are right, "80" means nothing without saying if if its head or suction pressure and what the motor amps were at the time.. that would be typical of an HVAC tech or electrician without the necessary experience on *commercial refrigeration and Ice machines'

If you have a set of refrigeration service gauges and electrical test instruments I can coach you on the diagnosis, if not the best I can do is to help you locate a high quality commercial refrigeration service outfit with good customer ratings.

In that case, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will take a look for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm located in Tulsa,Oklahoma 5250 N Peoria Ave 74106 my cell is 918 - 282 - 1315
Copeland compressor MD# 3DS3F46KE - TFC - 200 on a Artic Temp 1000 ice maker
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

There are only 3 commercial refrigeration outfits listed in Tulsa

10901 E Marshall St, Tulsa, OK 74116

+1 918 - 437 - 5130

This one looks to be the most well established, ask them to come out and look the ice machine over and provide a written not in their findings, head and suction pressures etc... and an estimate of repairs. Then get back to me with those details so that I can assess the validity of their diagnosis and repair estimate.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does this sound like the compressor has gone out
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Not so far, but it is a possibility of course. the "80" reading is way too low to indicate locked rotor amps on a bad compressor that size. if indeed it was an amperage reading. So far it sounds like controls adjustment issues and maybe a refrigerant leak...only a 10% chance the compressor is bad...there is no way to tell from here without suction and head pressure readings.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've contacted the the company you sent me, a tech is going to contact me once again.
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Not all techs are equal, I need to know verbatim what he tells you the problem is (in great detail) .. if he does not provide the details including the head and suction pressures and amperage draw those are big red flags.

Tell him your consultant wants the details, have him write them down for you along with a repair estimate... that will keep them honest.