Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician
Experience:  hvac technichian at performance plumbing and heating
89712187

I am replacing my thermostats in my home with wifi

Customer Question

I am replacing my thermostats in my home with wifi thermostats. The downstairs one works fine, but the upstairs one won't power on.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 10 months ago.

hi i am dan i can help you with this. what model thermostat are you installing and how do you have ther wires connected. what terminals?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Honeywell RTH6500WF. My questions is pretty straightforward: The downstairs one works great because the C wire is hooked up appropriately. The upstairs one gets no power because the only wires connected at the furnace are the red and white wires which are just connected to the same connection as the downstairs wires. Can I just connect the remaining wires? I'll send a pic so you know what I mean.

if you have extra wires you will need to connect one to common in the furnace or zone pannel and then to C on the thermostat.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm thinking that if I just connect the green, blue and yellow wires at the at the furnace, then everything should work fine. I wanted to check with someone before I did it though.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't fry anything by doing that

no that brown cable will most likely go out to the a/c unit outside not the thermostat upstairs. do you have 5 wires in the wall at the thermostat upstairs?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think it's the cable that goes upstaris, same brown color.

do you have a zone pannel somewhere outside of the furnace?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where would I find it?

if you follow the white cable it should lead to it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That white cable goes into the wall presumably to the downstairs thermostat.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The white and brown cables go into the wall together

do you have two seperate systems or one system and 2 zones?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is it possible that this house doesn't actually have two zones but just two thermostats controlling the same thing?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have just one furnace and two thermostats
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh shoot! I was wrong about the cables. The brown cable does not go into the wall, it goes into the floor with all the other pipes presumably out to the AC unit
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't know where the cable goes from the upstairs thermostat. . .

can you post some pictures of the area around the furnace. is the furnace separate from the a/C do you have a boiler for heat?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where are the wires going from my upstairs thermostat if they aren't going to the furnace? (I'm working on the pics)

how many wires are at the thermostat upstairs and what were they connected to on the old tstat?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There are 5 wires and all but the blue one was connected to the old thermostat

what terminals were they on and what wire conections are at the first floor tstat

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
now that I hooked up my new tstat, all the wires are connected downstairs. All the wires previously were connected to their appropriate color terminals on the upstaris tstat except for blue which was disconnected
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
did that video upload?

no i did not get any video

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think this is too complicated for us to solve. I'm going to hire someone. Thanks for trying.

ok let me know if i can be of any more help and if you could rate me on my service today by selecting one of the 5 stars i would appreciate it. thank you for using just answer