Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Paloma tankless water heater==the temp is set at

Customer Question

I have a Paloma tankless water heater==the temp is set at 120 degrees==when taking a shower the temp will suddenly go cold will heat back up when adjusted what can I do to prevent this --thanks
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

​The 2 most common causes of this occurrence are either a dirty filter on the cold water inlet to the heater or water temp that's set to high. If you hadn't told me this was set to 120 I'd suspect the latter immediately. So I wonder if the temp sensor on the unit is working properly. Is the full on hot water actually 120? The filter is a cap on the side of the fitting where the cold water line into the heater is connected. To clean it you need to turn of the water to the unit then open a hot water (only) faucet and let it run util it stops. The unscrew the filter cap while you have a bucket handy to catch any water that might run out when you take the filter off. Of course you need to unplug the unit or turn off the gas before you do this.