BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

My 9 year old York 2.5 ton A/C unit air was low in freon and

Customer Question

My 9 year old York 2.5 ton A/C unit for central air was low in freon and I had it filled, but the A/C sometimes cools and other times it doesn't. The A/C guy came back and said that the freon is full and I had the maximum temperature range of 20 degrees on his gauges. So, there's not a leak with the freon. I found a corroded AA battery in the thermostat and replaced the Honeywell RTH6350 thermostat, thinking it affected it and I think it did, so I replaced it to eliminate that if it was or wasn't the problem. I checked all the wires to be OK. The A/C fan outside kicks on when I set the thermostat to cool, but it doesn't blow any warm air out outside and the blower only blows room temperature air out of the indoor vents, which has been 80's and 90's in the house. It has worked OK sometimes and other times not. It worked OK for almost two days and then just decided to quit working for no reason. It's like only the compressor isn't functioning when everything else is. Is there a switch or something that controls the compressor that I could check or replace myself? My HVAC repair bill is getting expensive and it's still not working. I don't want to call them back if I can figure out what the problem is and fix it myself. Any help that you can give me will be much appreciated. ~Bill~
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I changed the filters about two weeks ago and the thermostat settings should be OK. I double-checked the settings with the installation manual. It's pretty straightforward what settings it should be set at, so it should be OK.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can. I'm pretty handy.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It just doesn't make sense why the compressor isn't kicking on to cool the house, where everything else is working OK.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 months ago.

You will want to replace the compressor capacitor. This is what helps start the compressor. If the capacitor is weak or bad it can fail to start compressor while everything runs ok

Billy