Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am looking to replace my AC unit / lennox/ HS21-060-1P S/N

Customer Question

Hi , I am looking to replace my AC unit /
lennox/ HS21-060-1P
S/N 5801H34991
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Hello, tell me if are looking for the best deal, cooling capacity vs price and low cost maintenance, or the more complex type systems on the market, very quiet, very efficient, cost more to buy, and cost more to service.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i would like to replace it witht he same or similar unit
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
are you there ?
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Yes

Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

I have to come and go to do research, handle the ongoing question stream and type answers... a 10 or 15 minute delay is common, then at night I go to bed of course, etc... lunch an dinner. I am here though from 7 am to 10 pm 7 days a week.

Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

There are a few dozen other HVAC experts here as well, same situation, we are working professionals and fit the questions in here as we can.

Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Regarding the Lennox systems, things have changed vastly in the last 15 years, there are currently much more efficient systems on the market, made by Lennox and others, if you can tell me which climate zone you are in I can select the most cost effective efficiency range for you.

There are also a range of ways to cut your electric bill costs for the AC in half, if you want that option, it will affect which model and brand I recommend.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am really just looking for an exact or similar unit . where could i buy a replacement
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I live in Delaware
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will look for a well rated Lennox dealer in your area.

In Delaware an 15 SEER efficiency system will work well.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am about 5 miles from wilmington , do they make the unit i am asking about anymore
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Yes they make a unit quite similar to yours, rated at the same cooling capacity ( 5 tons) but in a bit higher efficiency due to changes in national building codes requiring higher efficiency systems.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
does that require me to change the air handler as well????
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

No.

However the cooling coil should be changed because the refrigerant used in your system is R-22 is phased out in place of R-410a which runs at much higher pressures.

Regarding the air handler, at age 15 its controls and blower motor are beyond their normal life spans, most dealers will recommend changing that as well....it will not cost a lot more than changing the cooling coil only.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
there is a leak in the coile , that is the whold problem ....apparently huge , so cani just replace the coil?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i am getting an estimate of 10,000.00 !!!!!!!Ughhhhh
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

http://www.lennox.com/products/heating-cooling/air-conditioners

Yes you can just replace the coil, cost for coil replacement from a reputable dealer will be under $1,200 give or take $300

Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Coil cost is under $500 wholesale, its a one man, 4 to 6 hour job.

The refrigerant can be recovered reused. so you should not have to buy any.

If refrigerant is required it can be changed out and replaced with refrigerant R-22a at reasonable cost.

Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

$10,000 is in the ball park for a new seer 15, outside unit and furnace. complete install.

Earlier you said 'air handler' those are generally only used with heat pumps, but your model number checks as a cooling only unit, so that you would not have an air handler, but a furnace in its place with a cooling coil box attached to the top most likely.

Please talk about that a bit

Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Goodman brand is as good as any and sells for about 40% less let me know if you want to talk about that or not... the Lennox dealer will not be selling Goodman... Goodman is perhaps the biggest seller with the best warranty in the US

Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Is your electric bill an issue? if it is a big issue with you, and with such a large house, it might be possible to zone control it and cut 30% from your utility bill... otherwise you do not need the added complications and costs of zoning the system