Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.

Where is t1 on the contactor, one hour, yes, putting in hard

Customer Question

where is t1 on the contactor
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: one hour
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: putting in hard start
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 3 months ago.

Hi Jerry, I'm Brian and I can help with this!

On a typical residential one or two pole compressor contactor that is mounted on a vertical surface and the incoming power wires are connected on the two terminals on the bottom of the contactor, T1 would be the upper left terminal (opposite the incoming line terminals) of the contactor. Unfortunately not all ac manufacturers mount their contactors this way and/or some don't put the incoming power wires on the bottom.

With all that said and now that you're thoroughly confused, If you can give me a the make and model number of the ac unit you're working on and also what the brand and model of hard start kit you have, I can help you get it wired properly. Alternately, if you just snap a picture of the entire ac control panel showing enough detail where I can zoom in and see and follow all wiring to the contactor and existing run capacitor, then snap a picture of the hard start capacitor kit, I can guide you using only those pictures too. In fact the pictures may be easier because I can annotate them and send them back to show you.