airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My Honeywell thermostat had some corrosion on it, I cleaned

Customer Question

My Honeywell thermostat had some corrosion on it, I cleaned it off with WD40 and A/C came back on. After about 30 min before reaching the desired cooling temp it shut off again. What should I do?
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: We're not sure but would the A/C system come back on if it was a larger HVAC
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: We hope to. By the way the whole system is 2 1/2 yrs old
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: My husband cleaned the connectors for the battery again, popped all back in, lowered temp and system kicked back on. We're concerned that it may shut off again.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 4 months ago.

To determine if thermostat is the issue, when it should be on and is not try this.Remove front on thermostat to expose thermostat wires.Connect the R and Y using a paper clip and see if outdoor comes on.If so replace thermostat.if not we will go from there.