Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My ac unit turns off after approx 1 hr of operation. A red

Customer Question

My ac unit turns off after approx 1 hr of operation. A red light on the front comes on. I have had the unit almost a year with a lot of operating time. Never had a problem. While gone a week. There were storms. Power went off a couple of times but came back on. I had a friend staying at the house. He said he didn't touch or change anything. I have never had a problem with the unit. The temp is good and cold when its operating. The exhaust is hot, vented outside with minimal turns.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, so far it sounds like the lightning during the storms and electrical spikes during the power failures have damaged the electronics (a printed circuit card) inside the unit. IF that is the case and you can find someone who will work on it, the repairs might cost almost as much as a new unit.

Thats how it is with the low cost chinese equipment when imported to the US and our off the chart labor rates.

Tell me how old it is approximately, and how much it cost so that I can advise you most appropriately from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I down loaded a PDF file on the unit. Since I have misplaced the paper wor that came with it. The red light on the panel turns out to be the indicator for the full tank of water. I took half the unit apart yesterday and cleaned half the coils inside, not being able to clean the other half, due to it getting dark and wanting to get it back together before not being able to see. The unit runs until the coils developes enough moidture thst the tank fills up caue the coils are basically blocked by lint fuss. So I hooked up a drain hose last night and wa-la. Slept like a baby.
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Good work!!