Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My compressor won't come on, happen after a storm. I thought

Customer Question

my compressor won't come on, happen after a storm. I thought it was the run capacitor I changed it but it didn't fix it. Is the a reset switch as well on the unit? Model 4TTB4036E1000AB
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 9 months ago.

Hello, its not a reset switch issue with storm (lightning) damage but damage to the printed circuit card in about 95% of cases... in a few other cases, 5% it is blown run capacitors, or other defects.

Expert:  Phil replied 9 months ago.

Use the paper clip icon on the right end of your tool bar or the attach files to the left of your send button to send me a close up photo of the unit wiring diagram and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Photo must be *exceedingly well focused and taken from straight on.

We can go from there.

Expert:  Phil replied 9 months ago.

It will be easier for you if you include a photo of the units controls (inside the control box)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fan comes on, just not the compressor, what else is there to check on the compressor? Trane XB 14
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok hold on
Expert:  Phil replied 9 months ago.

The relays soldered into the control card *control the compressor on and off.... if a circuit related to that relay the compressor will not run.

Expert:  Phil replied 9 months ago.

I do not recommend it at this point of the trouble shooting process, but later if needed you can mark all wire connections to the compressor very well, make a diagram and take a photo of them, then remove all the wires and check ohm readings between C and S, C and R and R and S.... the R and S readings should total the other two readings, all of the readings will be under 10 ohms.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here are pics of unit and wiring diagram
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
smaller zip
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
next one
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
model info
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There was a delay timer on the unit. I removed that to make sure it wasn't the issue. Also there is a surge protector on the unit. I have voltage all the way to the run capacitor is there a way to test at the compressor the wires coming from the control board. I have a red and white wire coming from the attic unit control board connected now red to yellow and red to blue
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
wires from control board to compressor
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you still there....
Expert:  Phil replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.

I am here, but doing research... back in a few minutes

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Phil replied 9 months ago.

Hello, the wiring diagram you sent is only of the 'hard start kit' not of the unit wiring itself. The other photo's are nice, but a close up, so close that it only shows wire connections to one component doesn't tell me anything, the wire colors are NOT standard... it is the wire *circuits that I must see.

In the meantime if you are safe and qualified around high voltage electricity you can remove the power terminal cover on the compressor so that you can see the 3 terminals C, S and R... and then with the contactor pulled in check for 230 v across C and R, then check for voltage across C and S... tell me what reads you get.

If you get voltage reads in that range then the compressor windings could likely be burned out.

Do this, mark all wire connections to the compressor very well, make a diagram and take a photo of them, then remove all the wires and check ohm readings between C and S, C and R and R and S.... the R and S readings should total the other two readings, all of the readings will be under 10 ohms.