Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have a Janitrol AC unit and I was trying to get the model

Customer Question

Hello I have a Janitrol AC unit and I was trying to get the model number off of it. Unfortunately its worn off except for 3 number: 42-1. Is there a way to get the model number from the serial number? I know they sometimes put the model number inside near the wiring diagram as well but it wasn't there.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, tell me why you need the model number, from that response I can probably find other ways to help you get the part or whatever else you need without the model number... back tracking the serial number has a thin chance of success, and would take hours,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my AC went out, and I think I troubleshot it down to the capacitor but I was trying to get info on the unit to find anything else that could have gone wrong. I figure its the capacitor because the condenser was humming but the fan wasn't spinning. I shut the system off, made sure the fan would spin freely if i spun it manually and them turned it back on. It ran for a short amount of time before doing the same thing again. So I removed the capacitor and metered it for resistance, got one barely noticeable jump but it didn't happen again. I could be way off base on my troubleshooting though.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** would simply list the same range of issues that most other AC systems have, I am familiar with that long list and we can hone in real fast on what the problem actually is.

So far your test of push starting the fan, and noticing that it then ran for a while points to bad fan bearings or if the unit is not over 7 years old, a bad fan run capacitor... it is quite easy however to mess that change out up... let me coach you on that it will not cost you anymore.

Feel the fan motor bearings for any slight sideways play (90 degrees to the body of the motor) if you can feel any at all, the bearings are bad and the motor must be replaced.

If the fan motor bearings have no sideways play replace the fan capacitor, it sells for about $7 at Grainger industrial supply, or Johnstone supply, take it in for a match up if it is about the size of pack of cigarettes, if its a lot larger and has 3 black plastic cups with wires connect to all 3 get back to me i will coach you on that one.

We can go from there