Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Our heat pump is blowing cold air outside and room

Customer Question

our heat pump is blowing cold air outside and room temperature air inside the house
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: thermostat is fine and changed the filter even though the old one wasn't dirty
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We've recently had freon added to the unit, 2 lbs, but right now the heat pump is blowing cold air outside and the air inside the house is not cooling it. We have a smaller unit that runs the upstairs and the air coming out of the outside unit is distinctly warmer than the unit we're concerned about.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, it is easy to add too much refrigerant to a system and cause a wide range of problems... the charge is critical to an *ounce of refrigerant.. the fact that you mentioned 2 pounds even indicates such an over charge.

Tell me in great detail about who added the refrigerant and what the head and suction pressure gauge readings were... we can go from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was a local AC technician that added the freon. I'm not sure what the readings were.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's been about a month ago since it was added and we've not had any problems since then.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** system needed refrigerant it was because there was a refrigerant *leak.. so far it sounds like the tech installed some refrigerant and charged you for an even 2 pounds as perhaps their minimum charge. but did not fix the leak?

Is there anything on his bill detailing a leak repair and time billed for that?

Let me know, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There was a leak on the "A" coil on the inside unit, it was not repaired, only refrigerant added. He mentioned replacing that part, but we've had a leak repaired before for much less than the cost of replacing it.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** depends on the size of the leak, if it is a very slow leak is cheaper (but not legal on the part of the technician) to just add refrigerant, if it is a larger leak as it seems to have turned into, then the leak must be repaired or you will loose the refrigerant again as in the case of your system apparently.

Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

That is the cheap way to fix leaks, nothing wrong with it as some people assert, except that it deprives the service outfits of the many hours labor it takes to fix the leak the 'right way'... and indeed, sometimes depending the size and nature of the leak it must be repaired 'the right way.

Its time to locate the 'Finish and rate your expert' link, and follow the prompts, that is the only way the company pays me for my time and expenses. In exchange I will hold the question open without a time limit for any follow up you might need. Thanks!