Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

Model is 1f80. I cannot get it to turn on the ac. All day. I

Customer Question

Model is 1f80. I cannot get it to turn on the ac.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: All day. I had to replace the batteries. The time keeps blinking on and off, there is a number (51) that is alternating with the time. I set 70 for cooling. Nothing is happening. Do I need to "program" something and if so how do I do that?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am at the thermostat ready to go.
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: I think it is the thermostat.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. If you are not satisfied, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me why before leaving a negative rating and allow me to continue to work with you until we are able to both agree on an outcome to follow. Thanks for your business!

Thanks for a partial model number on your thermostat. I see you are having trouble with the AC. When you turn on AC, does indoor blower run? How about outdoor unit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tim, it acts like it does not know the temperature inside - says it is 60 when in fact it is more like 80. So the only way to get the ac on is to set a ridiculous cooling temp if 59. Then the ac comes on for awhile. I have downloaded and read the White Rodgers manual while I waited to hear from. I have reset the thermostat to factory specs to clear out any programming but I cannot seem to get it to reset the thermometer in the thermostat itself.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

You may end up replacing the thermostat, then. You can try one other thing. Take the thermostat front section off the wall loose from the back, remove any batteries, and wait for 10 minutes, then replace. I don't have the full model on the thermostat, so can't look up specifics. But this is sort of like a "hard boot" of the thermostat. We are removing any sources of power by removing from the subbase (the back part) and removing batteries.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Even though the site has a deposit from you, it is not transferred to me until you positively rate my work. Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any more questions. Experts prefer if you rate the question at the end of our first chat. Thank you!