Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My fan doesn't energize to the cooling setting. it just

Customer Question

my fan doesn't energize to the cooling setting. it just stays at the circulate setting
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: a couple of weeks. it kicked in two days ago for a couple of hours then went back to circulate
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends. trying to figure out if the problem is air circulation or something else
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: filter is new. thermostat settings are correct.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: a couple of things... 1) return is not big enough. 2) this seems to happen every summer (this is the third one) and then it seems to magically right itself. 3) two years ago repair person replace controller board. that didn't seem to do the trick then a week later after cleanign some vents it seemed to work again. last summer he wanted to repair the same board again. I said 'no' and about a week later it started working again
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, these types of intermittent problems can be nearly impossible do diagnose, since even touching a loose connection for instance fixes it for a while.

If you can give me the brand name and model number of the furnace or air handler I will be able to pull the wiring diagram and see what sort of blower motor you have, the problem could be there.