Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My outdoor A/C unit won't go on. If i trip the breaker it

Customer Question

my outdoor A/C unit won't go on. If i trip the breaker it will go on, but seems to be blades only and eventually goes off.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It seems when blades are spinning something else is attempting to turn on - I hear a brief buzzing noise. Eventually when blades go off I hear the brief buzzing noise as if something is trying to start again.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need. Please be patient as many times we work with several customers at once.

Sounds like a blown dual run capacitor. Check the top of capacitor, see if it's deformed or damaged in some way.