Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

AC not blowing cold air. Fan is working no ice visible. 9600

Customer Question

AC not blowing cold air. Fan is working no ice visible. Hell 9600
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello, step one is to remove the blower access door, hold the door switch in manually and using a flashlight physically observe the blower wheel to insure that it is not running.

If the blower is not running I will coach you on trouble shooting the electronics. Tell me a lot about your skills I that area so that I can coach you most effectively.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No skills....someone told me compressor was overheated.....they told me to turn the unit off for an hour and run cold water over the compressor. Ran water, but not sure where the compressor is located on a Heil 9600 series
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello again, you can get in trouble with the water, especially if you do not turn the power to the unit off.... the compressor is the large black object below the fan in the unit... the chances that overheating the compressor is the problem are less than 1 in 20 it is generally some other problem.

Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

You still need to do step one for me, with the thermostat set for cooling and down to 60F for the test

step one is to remove the blower access door, hold the door switch in manually and using a flashlight physically observe the blower wheel to insure that it is not running.

If this is too much technical challenge for you, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will locate the nearest well rated outfit that you can call for diagnosis and repair.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Already called someone
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

That's good, hopefully you got one of the better qualified outfits in the area. It is time now to locate the 'finish and rate your expert' link. Its the only way the company pays me for my time. Thanks!