Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I am having issues with my thermostat. I have a brand new ac

Customer Question

I am having issues with my thermostat. I have a brand new ac unit but the thermostat is not new. it is set for 75 but shows 80 in the house. when i took the thermostat off the wall, i noticed a lot of battery corrosion. will this cause the thermostat to not work properly?
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: i dont think it's the ac because its new and the ac was just working and blowing cold. the thermostat keeps making a clicking noise and it will turn on the ac then turn it off again.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes if possible
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Corrosion of any type in a thermostat is not good and given your description is probably the culprit. I'd replace the thermostat.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok when replacing the thermostat, do I just buy a new one and that's it. I don't have to do anything with Ac unit when putting in new thermostat? I have a 6 week old and 2 year old and my husband is deployed and I'm alone and it's so hot. I am so upset and desperate for answers
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

You don't have to do anything to the AC unit except turn the power off to it when you replace the thermostat. Do you know if you have a heat pump? If not how many wires are connected to the thermostat?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I believe it's a heat pump but i don't know really what that means
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Well you need to know for sure because that will matter when it comes to getting a new thermostat. How many wires are connected to your thermostat.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
5. Red, white, yellow, green and blue
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Ok. what's the terminal designation for the blue wire?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
C?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
One of the prongs on the back of thermostat is completely rusted
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Ok, then you don't have a heatpump and just about any heat/cool 24 volt thermostat should work. You can get a programmable one which will save you some money if you leave the house during the day. Or a non programmable one which will stay at whatever temp you set it too. That C wire may not be needed on your new thermostat.

Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

You can go to Lowes or Home Depot for a new one. Honeywell is a good brand.

Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thank u
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

I'd appreciate a favorable rating